Athens-Limestone Hospital opened its doors on May 28, 1951. Joint efforts of a newly established hospital board along with city and county officials began to work on a hospital for Athens-Limestone County. The new facility housed 50 beds and the Limestone County Health Department occupied the south wing.
Today, Athens-Limestone Hospital is a 101 beds, high-tech, state-of-the-art hospital providing general medical and surgical care for inpatient, outpatient, and emergency room patients. Athens-Limestone Hospital is a Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama Tier 1 hospital, recognized for having attained the highest level of compliance in the areas of quality awareness, patient safety, and financial awareness. The hospital has grown to more than 700 employees and more than 150 physicians.
Athens-Limestone Hospital Areas of Specialty and Services
- Emergency Services
- Diagnostic Imaging Services (Radiology)
- includes General Radiology, Mammography, Bone Density, Nuclear Medicine, CT, MRI, and Ultrasound
- Laboratory Services
- includes Hematology, Blood Bank, Chemistry, Microbiology, Urinalysis, Coagulation, Serology, Phlebotomy
- Sleep Disorders Center
- Athens-Limestone Hospital's Sleep Disorders Center was named in "Best of 2012 Sleep Facilities" by Sleep Review, The Journal for Sleep Specialists.
- Pulmonary Services
- Breathing Treatments, Oxygen Therapy, Pulmonary Function Testing, Arterial Blood Gas Analysis, Ventilator Management, EEG, Pulse Oximetry, MDI Instruction
- Educational Classes
- includes Diabetes Education, Individual Nutrition Education, Childbirth Classes, Breastfeeding Classes, American Heart Association Basic Life Support Class
- Mother/Baby Services
- ALH was the first hospital in North Alabama to offer the most modern concept in obstetrical care, LDRP systems. The private LDRP suites are designed so that each phase of the birth experience takes place in one luxurious, family-centered setting.
- Surgical Services
- Over 450 surgical procedures are performed each month at Athens-Limestone Hospital. We perform surgeries in the following specialties: General Surgery/Vascular, Orthopedics, Obstetrics/Gynecology, ENT/Plastics, Ophthalmology, Urology, Podiatry, Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, Bronchoscopy, Pain Management
- Wellness Center
- Athens-Limestone Hospital Wellness Center has been serving Limestone County and since 1999. The 30,000 square foot facility provides Group Fitness Classes, Child Care, a 75 ft. Lap pool, Heated Therapy Pool, physical therapy services, cardio-pulmonary rehabilitation, and massage therapy.
- Urgent Care
- Athens-Limestone Hospital provides four Urgent Care locations throughout Limestone and Lauderdale Counties: Medical East is housed in the Limestone Medical Village facility in Athens, Tots & Teens for Pediatric Care in Harvest, Tennessee Valley Family Medicine in Ardmore, and Rogersville Family Care in Rogersville. These Urgent Care facilities provide treatment for minor illness and injury. Medical East also serves as an occupational medicine clinic providing pre-employment and DOT physicals, drug and alcohol screening, workers comp treatment, spirometry, EKG and pulmonary function testing.